Friday, March 9, 2018

Shine Mixed Media Layout | Suzanna Stein

Hey crafty pals, Suzanna here! I'm so excited to be back with another mixed media layout! I'm an art journaler all the way, and love getting messy. This mixed media layout is a mix of some of my favorite Shimmerz products, and I just can't get enough!


I started out with a layer of gesso to prep my pages. While this isn't absolutely necessary, I add a lot of product to my pages and like the extra protection it gives. Then, I added a solid coat of lavender acrylic paint.


Once the paint dried, I started layering on various colors and products. I started out by spraying Spritz and Coloringz around the pages. Between each color, I used my heat gun to dry them completely. This ensures the colors don't run together, creating a muddy color.

Once the mists were applied and dried, I added Texturez in Crushed Coral. Using a palette knife, I messily applied it across both pages. I love the texture and dimension this gave the layout!


Then, in no particular order, I took turns applying acrylic paint and Shimmerz colors using my fingers or a paint brush. I also added Texturez around the clouds of paint using a craft sponge. By switching up the tool I used to apply each color and/or product, I was able to get a variety of textures and look to each layer!

Once I was happy with the color pattern, I added stamping around the edge of the layout, along with messy lines made with a grease pencil. Then, using an oil-based gold paint marker, I applied dots around the page and smudged them using a baby wipe.


To finish off this layout, I added a quote, along with white platters from an oil-based white paint pen. I also diluted gold acrylic paint with a tiny bit of water and splattered it across the layout, diagonal from the white splatters.

This layout started out as one I was unsure about, but in the end I really love the way it turned out! Remember, if you aren't loving a mixed media project, you can always add more layers. Keep layering and working on it and eventually you may love it!

I'll be back next month with more mixed media inspiration! In the mean time, you can see different ways I use my favorite Shimmerz products, over on Instagram.


No comments: